Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Unit brings down average

So I got my math unit back the other day. I got 9 out of 20!!!!

That's the shittiest mark I've gotten on anything since 2002. I kid you not.

Because of that mark, my grade went from an A+ to an A-.

Ok,I'm not much of a perfectionist, but that just sucked. What sucked themost is that I busted my butt for that unit and still did bad.

Why did I do so bad? Because I was creative ... well, I looked creative.

The assignment called for us to make a math unit that incorporated two lines of a math play the instructor gave us.
The funny thing is that the "math play" actually happened to me in a real life situation. So I doctored a unit I previously taught to fit the assignment criteria. Then I had to complete the math play. Basically, I wrote the play from what happened in real life in my classroom.

The reason my instructor didn't like my play was because I didn't build myplay/unit around quadratic transformations. Instead, I built my unit around inequalities. Several of the lessons are centred around quadratics (like the quadratic equation and quadratic inequalities) where the skills learned in the actual quadratic unit are applied. I'm pretty sure everyone who did this assignment, built their unit around the transformations. I tried to be creative ... and it back- fired.

Two lessons here.
Lesson 1: Keep jumping through that hoop. When you think you're done jumping through those hoops, you gotta keep doing it. I should have done what everyone else did and I would know have an A+.
By the way, my classroom is going to be as hoop free as possible.
Lesson 2: My instructor is an idiot. Here's to you, teach!



P.S.I got straight A's this semester. I've never done that. I've managed to get straight D's in a semester in college, so I'm not bragging here.I'm just happy

1 Comments:

  • At August 25, 2006 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At least you got to know what happened with your unit. I doubt my instructor even read my French unit. I just got a final grade for that class: no project mark. So I can do a little algebra and figure out the mark, but I'd like some comments. I've emailed him, and no response in 1-1/2 weeks! I got an A- as a final mark, too. I'm curious. -Laura

     

Post a Comment

<< Home