Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Sunday, June 03, 2007

2 Weeks Left

My god! I only have two weeks worth of classes ... of course there is the week of final exams after that and a week of classroom clean-up, administration days (ie. staff meetings) and a pro-d day (which is bizarre because we all know a pro-d day is an excuse to have a day free of kids. They don't have the same merit when the kids aren't there).
School wise, my two government examinable courses are being crammed with information to get them ready. My other math class is studying already for their exam. I'm worried that some kids will not pass this reporting term ... and if they do crappy on their final exam, they won't pass the course. I can't help but feel responsible for that, in a way. But in all fairness, the student can always write make-up tests for me, but most of them have not taken me up on that opportunity.
So much has happened in the last little while but I know it will take forever to blog about it. I've been terrible about getting things posted. Oh well. Here are some highlights.
• Went on an awesome pro-d day traveling around the territory by boat. We saw some old village sites that date back 2500 years ago. Of course, only forest is left but a local archaeologist told us what to look for to identify other village sites. We also got to see some cool wall paintings.
• I have a harsh addiction to Facebook ... or as all my friends call it, Crackbook.
• The personal life is looking very much up. The only draw back is that I'm leaving at the end of June for two months so just as things are starting to take off, they will come to a screeching halt.
• I finally made it to the local bar. It wasn't that bad ... no weirdos hitting on me, but supposedly it gets super busy during the last half hour and I left then.
• Looking forward to going to the hometown and the big city for two months. My official plans are to sleep on various family member's couches and go to the beach and do absolutely nothing. Sweet!
• My sister had her baby! He was born a month early, on May 27th. He was only 5lb, 4 oz. when he was born. Tiny! My mom and my sister say he was about my size. Ahh! His name happens to be the last three letters of my first name, so I'm totally stoked he was named partial after me.
• The community had The Children's Cultural Celebration. It's a play pot latch. It was so awesome! I got to dance in a couple dances! I even went to some singing practices to try to learn some of the songs. But I really only learned the title and chorus to one song because trying to learn to read the language, pronounce all the new sounds, learn a tune, and drum at the same time cannot be learned in a week, Oh well, I had a blast anyway!

Ok, that's all for now.

1 Comments:

  • At June 03, 2007 9:28 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    I was surprised to see your sister had her baby. I like the name she picked out for him.

    Well, you certainly need to expand on the looking up of your personal life!

    You're into Facebook are you? My highschool and university students are into that.

    That pro-d travel trip you took sounds awesome. I would love to go on something like that.

    I don't know when you're going to be here but I head to Montreal at the end of the month for the summer. Hopefully our times will overlap at some point.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home