Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Friday, August 18, 2006

Moving day

Today was moving day. I woke up at 7:00 am feeling a little dehydrated from having a few drinks with Brilliant Andrew (as opposed to the ex-boyfriend Andrew) yesterday. I thought I could get up, make some breakfast, take a shower and get some last minute packing done. But, I was slower than expected and my Dad got to my dorm half an hour early. So it was us scrambling away for a few hours. Brilliant Andrew and Dad carried everything down to the van while I packed and got boxes out of the room. I was quite flustered and when it was time to say good-bye to Brilliant Andrew … well, it just didn’t go as I expected. It was a quick hug and kiss and some lame words (as in nothing I really planned on saying) and then Dad and I were off.

The big problem with the move was that when Dad went to pick up the U-Haul, they informed him, in fact, they could not hitch up a Ford Explorer since they had an on-going court case with them.



So Dad had to borrow someone’s sketch van and we had to go all the back to his place (one more round-trip ferry), put all my stuff in his garage and then cram as much of it that we could into his SUV and then head to my hometown to say good-bye to the rest of my family.

As we sat at the ferry terminal to go to Dad’s, it really hit me that I was leaving the big city for at least a year. True, I’d be back at Christmas for a few days before I went home, but I was pretty much leaving for what could be the rest of my life. And I was missing everyone I had gotten to know over the last year… especially Brilliant Andrew, the most recent friend I’ve made.

I’ve moved five times in the last three years and this was the first move of all of those that I was actually sad to leave. But I know this move will be the start of the biggest adventure yet.

Well, three ferry trips down and one more to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home