Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Leaving All That Is Familiar

It only took about 7 hours to drive from my hometown to the launch point of the last ferry. I was surprised it only took that long. That included a stop for dinner half way up.

The day started by going to breakfast with Mom, Dad, brother, sister and nephew. It was strange all of us sitting there … the blood family. We had to wait like 45 minutes for a table at the restaurant. Good thing the food is so good!!

I went to my old work to say good-bye to the crew. What I wasn’t prepared to hear that my boss’ breast cancer came back with a vengeance. This time some tumors crushed (or fused) some of his vertebrae and he’s paralyzed from the waist down. I was shocked to hear this. I’ll send him a card but I’m not too sure what to say. All the typical stuff seems tiresome, especially since I know he doesn’t want me to be sad nor would he want my pity. I’ll think of something fitting to say, I’m sure. Here’s to you, Lou!



Dad went to Mom’s after breakfast for a nap while I went to say good-bye to Robin, the mother of my nephew. That was a real hard good-bye for me. I stayed strong and didn’t cry, for Robin’s sake, but I was close. Of course, I cried later. I’ll really miss her. She’s one of those people that I can truly be myself around. She’s one of those people that make my life so much more rich. Here’s to her!!!



Dad and I left the hometown around 3. I got to play DJ while he drove. I specifically chose CDs that I thought he’d like for the drive up, and he seemed happy with the music selection.

We stopped in a town three hours from out destination for dinner. He asked me to pick a place that looked interesting. I randomly chose a place. It ended up being a fish n’chips joint with mostly geriatrics inside. The food was really deep-fried and all I really wanted was a salad. Oh well, we ate and then stopped at Safeway for some fruit.

We made it to the town where the ferry comes around 9:30 and got a hotel room. Of course, the hotel cost an arm and a leg, but it’s not like we could sleep in the stuffed SUV for the night. I stuffed that SUV so full, that I was squishing socks and underwear in all the extra spaces between boxes.

Anyway, I’m so beat that I’m off to bed. I get to get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning to make the ferry reservation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home