Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Friday, August 24, 2007

New teachers and a wedding

Wedding news first. Went to my first wedding here. It wasn't "traditional" but it was nice. One of the bridesmaids use to teach here and she needed a place to stay, so she crashed at my place. She was super sweet and I was so glad I could help her out. She was my “in” for the actually wedding ceremony. The wedding was suppose to start at 3, so I showed up at 2:30 to get a seat. Well, I ran into two of the local singers (friends of my crush) on my way and I sat with them for a while. But they then had to sing. Luckily, one of the teachers I know was there so I hung out with her. Anyway, the ceremony was super late and started at 4:30!

The ceremony was nice, a simple civic ceremony. Then all the wedding guests pile into vehicles and does a honking tour of town. Everyone comes out of their houses and waves at the giant motorcade.

I went to my co-workers house afterward, we had a few beers and then went to the reception. We stayed until the bride and groom came and then went back to my co-workers house for more beer. Then we went back to the reception for the end of it, then headed over to the next island for more partying.

I had a lot of fun. I flirted a little tiny bit with a guy there, had another guy buy me drinks and then a creepy guy hit on me (that wasn’t fun though). Anyway, the guy who was buying me drinks is a buddy of my crush (one of the singers), he was the friend that my crush brought to my birthday party in June. I think he was hitting on me a little. Hmmm.

On the way back was the bad part. It’s over folks. The buddy told me my crush was seeing someone. I was crushed, but not at all surprised. In my drunkeness though, I did bitch about it all the way from the dock to my house with my houseguest (I think the word I said the most was fuck). Sober, I’m still disappointed but what can I do. Get over it! When I see my crush (my ex-crush now?) I’m gonna let him know I know, in a good-natured way of course, so that it won’t be so awkward! When I talked to him at the potlatch, he was really awkward.

Anyway, we’re getting seven new teachers this year. The turn-over is never this big – it’s just that some people had to finally move on. We lost two veteran teachers last year and only one newby so not too bad. Anyway, I’ve spent the last two days visiting 4 of the new teachers. They’re all really nice. Only one is my age ... and he happens to be from my hometown (or so I hear). Plus, when I left in June we were told about the new teachers and how the men all have partners. Well, the hometown newby is here by himself and he’s single. Hmmmm....

1 Comments:

  • At August 25, 2007 7:26 AM, Blogger Vancouver Island Mommy said…

    Sorry to hear about your crush, but hopefully when you let him know it's okay, you can be friends. Kinda good news about the new blood; hope you won't have too much competition. Here's to him being cute...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home