Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Sunday, August 20, 2006

My New Home

We’re here! We made it in one piece! I’m so stoked to be here.

The ferry trip was pretty surreal. The ferry was very small. It had a “cafeteria”, and a forward lounge. The lounge had reclining seats where I slept for a few of the 10 hours involved for the trip. The first part of the trip was quite rocky so instead of barfing my guts out, I choose unconsciousness. The food was nothing to wish for. Anything I would have wanted to eat that was on the menu, was unavailable. So during the entire trip, I had some nasty eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, toast, and fries.
There were lots of whales off the ferry. Dad got lots of pictures of orcas and hump-backed whales.

We arrived at 6 and headed to town. My contact actually went to meet us at the ferry terminal and we drove right by him. I thought I’d call him when we got to town. While we waited for him to show up, we had dinner at the local restaurant. My Dad, the vegetarian, had a hamburger! Weird! I had no clue what my contact looked like but I could spot him right away as he came in. His name gives away his ethnicity so he was easy to pick out in a Native village. The people sitting behind us in the restaurant were teachers too so I got to meet some of my co-workers.

My place is so sweet!



I can literally throw a rock from my deck and hit the school (and I throw like a girl too!)



My place is huge! It’s way bigger than the dorm room, that’s for sure. It’s a two-bedroom suite in a 4-plex. The place is furnished. One of the beds (which will be mine when Dad leaves) is a pillowtop! I’ve never had such a nice mattress in my whole life... and it’s queen sized! I guess I’ll need to get new linens at Christmas. The other bed is a double, which is nice since that is what I have linens for. The small bedroom will be my bedroom, it will just have my dressers and bed in. The second bigger bedroom will be my office. This is all so bizarre, having a spare bedroom for an office!!! Hey, if anyone wants to visit (I’m serious) there is a nice bed for you!!

The kitchen has lots of cupboards. No microwave or dishwasher (I have a microwave at Dad’s and I don’t have enough dishes to fill a dishwasher anyway). I have my own washer and dryer. Again, a first for me. I’ve lived on my own lots of times, but I’ve always had to share. The sweetest thing is that all of this is deducted from my paycheck each month AND it’s all less that $500 a month! Too crazy!

I have this awesome panoramic view of the inlet from my living room window.



I also have a deep freeze freezer in my living room. Supposedly it for all the fish I will be eating. I guess I’ll have to like fish.

The village is pretty cool. There is a restaurant with a convenience store attached, a general store, a post office, a bank (!!!), a hospital, and a police station. I’m gonna visit the general store, bank and post office tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home