Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bomb

I have some funny, funny students. My literacy class needed two classes to finish one lesson because yesterday they were on hyper pills. So today, I made over half the class finish the assignment while the "good" ones got to do a word search. When everyone was done, we marked the assignment and then we had ten minutes left. I like to fill that with a game. My two favorite games for smallish classes are Dart Bingo and hangman. The class decided on hangman.

The rules are that I start, and whoever guesses mine gets to do the next word or phrase. My only rule about words and phrases is that they can't be swear words or be rude. One kids guessed my clue with just the vowels (it was Employee of the Month by the way). He forfeited his turn to another kid, Harley, who happens to have a wicked sense of humor. He umms and ahhs until he writes the following spaces:

__ __ __ __


The class and I guess tons of letters: e, i, t, s, r, d, l, u, y, z, x, n, and c. Harley is forced to draw crazy body parts on the hangman like eyes, hair and hands. We are starting to wonder what the word is. I guess B. We get the following letters.

B __ __ B


The class erupts in laughter ... including me. We all just laugh our asses off. But the students are NOT guessing what we are all thinking. I can tell Harley has something up his sleeve. I can also tell the class is waiting for a reaction out of me. Will I get mad? Will I say what we are thinking?

I look at it one more time, while the class is pretty quiet to see my reaction. I guess one more letter: the letter M.

Harley adds the following letter:

B __ M B

Someone in the class screams BOMB! And we all laughed. Harley breaks the ice by saying, "You all thought it was boob, didn't you?" We all laugh again.

I don't know, I thought it was funny.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home