Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Fight Fallout

Here's the fall out from the fight. Both kids are in my math class. Brian, the one I had run into right after the fight, has a swollen mouth and a big, black eye. The other kid, I'll call JC, doesn't seem to have anything really wrong with him.

We had an assembly today and one of the big topics was the concern that us teachers and the community have about the recent fights going on. There have been more fights in the last couple of months than usual. The VP targted the people who crowd around and taunt the fighters. He said that these people are cowards because it's so easy to taunt these people because they're not the ones getting their faces bashed in. He also said that it's pretty disturbing that people find this as a source of entertainment because someone could seriously get hurt. We all know about Rena Virk. My thought is that I've seen what happens to kids in a school when someone dies. It's is not fun.

Anyway, Brian asked if he could address the school. He said that most of us knew about the fight. He also said he wished he hadn't fought. It's not glamourous and it doesn't really solve problems. He also felt bad because he fought because of rumors and heresay. He showed us all his injuries. He then called JC up to the front and appologized again for fighting him and they shook hands.



I was really impressed with Brian's bravery. He wasn't afraid to admit he was wrong and he wasn't afraid to take reponsibility for his actions. I admire this kid for more than that. He's demonstrated a lot of maturity the entire time I've worked with him. I have high hopes that Brian wil make a difference in this community and inthe world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home