Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Monday, August 21, 2006

My First Full Day in the Community

I got up this morning ready for my daily shower and then realized I don’t have a shower curtain. %^$#!!! I had to take a sponge bath, but first I had to wash the tub out. It was filthy even for my standards (because I was use to the funky showers in dorms). Thank goodness for Mr. Clean Magic Erasers is all I can say.



Another random note, it’s strange to actually be able to sit on the toilet seat, and to use the toilet and shower in the same room! I can be naked in an entire bathroom again! Oh, blissful joy!

I went to the school board today to check-in. Again, this is a building that I can throw a rock at from my place. I got to meet some of the office staff – they were all super friendly. I had to fill out a bunch of medical, pension, tax forms … all not to difficult. I then had to call the phone company (which doesn’t offer voice mail in this area) and power company to get those services. It’s always fun to go through all the menus. I finally got a phone number and as I gave it to the office staff, she said I should call right back because my number was one digit off of the ferry service and she said I would get a lot of calls at 3 in the morning. That was too funny.

The best part of the office visit was that I got my $500 moving bonus (!!!!!) and a welcome basket full of welcome-type gifts. That was super sweet!

Dad and I then went to the general store to check it out. I was quite impressed with the selection they had. They have rice milk and All Bran (but not the buds ☹ ) but they don’t have Nutella. We got some stuff for omlettes and pasta.

I was going to go to the bank but they are only open Wednesday to Friday from 11:00 to 4:00 (5:00 on Fridays!). And I thought banking hours sucked in the city!

We went back to my place and I was unpacking a little and Dad was napping when I heard a knock on the door. It was some of my neighbour teachers and they gave me three fresh pieces of coho. That was so nice of them. I thanked them profusely. They asked me if I like fish. I replied that I do now. They said they felt the same way.



I get a few cable channels too. They are quite the selection. I get channels 2 to 13.
2 - the local crawl
3 - Much Punch
4 - CNN
5 - YTV
6 - Fox Rochester, NY
7 - The Movie Channel
8 - LMN (I have no idea what that stands for)
9 - CBC
10 - HBO
11- The Sci Fi Chanel
12 - Global Vancouver, BC
13 - Some Christian channel

As for internet, I have two choices. One is that the school is on wireless and I could pick up the signal from my place. Too bad I don’t have the right hub. But Dad will send one to me when he gets back to the city. My other choice is dial-up. Ahhh! I’m opting for that, but I don’t get it until Friday. I know I will slowly go crazy until then. I need to check my email, and go on MSN, dammit!!

Anyway, tomorrow should be a good and a bit of a sad day. My phone should work tomorrow, yeah! But Dad will leave tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home