Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Friday, November 03, 2006

I'm short

I've finally come to the realization I'm short. I've suspected it for a while but now I know I am. I didn't really think I was until last year.

I thought I was at least average height before because I'm both taller than my mom and older sister.

I've always known I was shorter than, say, the guys I've dated. The shortest guy I've dated was 5' 11.75". But that just makes me cute. I'd have to stand on a stair to be eye level without standing on my tip toes. It has caused me to get better neck muscles from the strain, but I've coped.

But I've found out I was short last year when all my student teacher friends were taller than me (well, except Sachiko). Ok, maybe I was just hanging out with those weird mutant tall student teacher types. No such luck. It finally hit me that I was short when I was standing around with my grade 8s and the boys were towering over me (this of course happened near the end of the year when most of them had gone through a growth spurt).

Yesterday was also a realization I was short. I was adjusting my thermostat and I realized that I couldn't actually see what I was doing. That was strange. Everytime I've done this, I have been able to see. Did I shrink? No, it turns out I constantly walk on my tip toes. My mom points out I walk on my tip toes, but I didn't realize I do it ALL the time. I do, it turns out. I think this has kept in me in constant denial that I'm not short. But now, I'm out of the closet. I am short people, and I am proud about it ... because it makes me cuter :)



It should really be no surprise to me. All the pants I've bought in the last two years drag on the ground. I've never really paid attention to this until I realized my beautiful,hot, sexy, new Seven jeans were dragging in the mud. And then I was thinking about my other pants and how either the bottoms of them are ripped or I've pinned them up.

My profession has also not helped. I'm constantly around people who are sitting, or else I'm sitting. All through out university I sat in a desk, at a table, on a bar stool etc. And now, my students are sitting while I'm standing up. At this vantage point I'm elevated even over the most vertically gifted students. Or else, I'm sitting at my desk when they approach me.

I was hoping to have a picture of this with me new Webcam, but the thing is not compatible with my computer. Now I have to send it back and I'm still camera-less. Sigh.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home