Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Thursday, January 04, 2007

What to start with ...

I'm back in the small town ... three days early. But that's OK. I have a ton of stories that I don't know here to start.

I managed to only forget three things in my voyages all over mid-sized towns and big cities. One being the cable to connect my camera to my computer. So at least three blog entries will have to b postponed while I wait for that to be shipped up. Another thing I forgot was that I'm trying to cut down on swearing. That has happened.

Christmas was lovely. I got some pretty nice things, which made me feel all the worse because only one of my presents was present on Christmas morning. Oh, well. Everyone got a cool present. My mom's present was going to a super nice french restaurant. My sister's present was us going for a bikini wax. To each their own.

Next it was to go to the big city to visit my friends. I had been looking forward to this time since I left the city in late August. I had such an enchanted time there this summer with everything going my way, I was hoping that the magic would continue. It didn't. This was hard. I kind of think of it as how Odysseus felt when he returned back to Ithica after the crusades. It just wasn't the same.

By no means do I want to complain because I had a really good time in Vancouver ... most of the time. I stayed with Matt. He was a great host. I enjoyed my time with him immensely. But some of the magic was gone from this summer. I know he had a rough semester in school and I had a life-movement change, so that factored in. I feel we had some great times and conversations, but I thought all my time spent with him would be like that. That's a no brainer, I was setting myself up for disappointment, in that aspect. I don't want this to discount the fact that I enjoyed his company tremendously.

I got to spend the first part of my last evening with Brilliant. We went to a local pub, watch some hockey and had some beer. It was great to see him doing well. After the pub, we dropped in on a guy we met this summer who still lives in dorms.

I didn't get to see any of my education buddies, which was disappointing. Actually, I didn't get to see many of my friends there. It just reinforced the theme that this summer was truly enchanted and I won't get to relive it again. I'm fine with that now. But on January 1st, I was extremely frustrated about it ... as you could tell in my previous entry.

All the fun stories will be developed more over the next few days when i get time to record them, and when I get my camera cord back... because I took specific pictures for the blog!

So with that I'll start with some stories as separate entries ....

1 Comments:

  • At January 06, 2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    I look forward to hearing your stories. I ended up being sick all week so my holiday ended up really sucking big time. I still feel absolutely gross. I can't believe I have to start back to work on Monday. As you can see being sick makes me real cranky!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home