Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

It's a Universal Fact ....


That if you give a male, high school student some connecting blocks, the first thing he will make is a gun. It doesn't matter where in this country you are, I guarantee this is what will happen. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself and see. It's almost a law of physics. Just sit back and watch!

In other news, I got my first hug from a student. I was doing outside duty (at lunch) and one of my students came up to me to chat. This is a common occurance here, by the way. If you're out and about in the community, students (even the teenaged ones) will see you and stop and chat with you. It's really cool. Anyway, he asked what we'll be doing in class and I told him we'll being doing a short lesson and then we'll have some fun with a Sudoku. He had no idea what that was (I later found out) but he wrapped his arm around my shoulder, squeezed and said, "You are such a nice teacher." This is what it's all about folks. It doesn't matter if you teach kindergarten or grade 12, a little hug from a student is always a nice surprise.

The "in" candy at the school right now is Juicy Fruit gum. I don't relly notice the gum until I leave my classroom and re-enter it and it reaks of the stuff. And I only know the student's chew it because I can smell it, not because I ever see it. I don't think I will ever be able to smell this gum and not think about my classroom and this school.

1 Comments:

  • At September 20, 2006 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was pregnant with your older sister, I was in a prenatal class and one woman said, "I'll never use treats to bribe my child." I remember thinking that she may have had noble intentions, but I wondered how the No Bribery strategy would work.
    Cut to a couple of years later...I discovered the true value of Smarties while trying to get a less-than-agreeable toddler to do something she wasn't keen on. Bribery IS an effective tool!
    And the smell of all of those sweet, fruity gums, candies, body sprays, etc. is nauseating! I've gotten off a bus to avoid prolonged olfactory contact with the fruity bomb.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home