Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Monday, September 04, 2006

T Minus One Day ...

So one more day until a very important event happens in my life … the season premier of House is on.



And since I get Fox Rochester, I get to see the brand new episode 3 hours earlier than everyone else I know, sweet!

But, seriously. Tomorrow is the first day of my career. I’m scared shitless, to be honest. But I’m prepared. I’m also excited to. It will be great to meet all the students, finally. I’m sure my blog will be really exciting tomorrow.

So I was taking the garbage out today, which I do often because of all the stinky fish carcasses that show up there from all the fish I’m eating. And then I remembered, there is no garbage pick up in this place. We actually have to take our own garbage to the dump. The things one takes advantage of in the city!

I counted the number of steps it takes me to get to school. From my front door to the front door of the school is 158 steps. That’s crazy, I think I could run to school in less than 30 seconds, no kidding.

I made my hall pass today. Every teacher needs a hall pass and the VP suggested that the more embarrassing for the student to carry it the better. So I had this key chain neck holder thingy (like the one illustrated), that says “Star” all over it.



I then made a cardboard star and put my name on it. It’s not modifyingly hideous, but it is quite ugly. Some teachers have gargantuous hall passes (like a spatula, or a giant Bugs Bunny doll), but mine isn’t that bad. Mine makes my students stars (roll eyes here).

In other news, Steve Irwin died!!!!! I can’t believe it! Everyone favorite Australian to make fun of was stung by a sea ray and died pretty much instantly. Crikey! Let us all take a moment and remember the guy who was the biggest advocate for crocodile rights.

Ok, that’s over. Seriously though, I feel real bad for his family. I can’t imagine being his 8 year-old daughter right now. I would be devastated if my dad died when I was eight. Especially on the day before the first day of school. But I guess it may not be the day before the first day of school in Australia. But still, he died … and that sucks. Here’s to you, Steve. May you have lots of Crocodiles in heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home