Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First Day of teaching

I AM SOO TIRED! I forgot how tiring teaching is, and I only taught half a day. I'm so tired, in fact, I'm not going to take the time to find photos to go with my blog. Sorry, for all those visual learners.

I'm partially so tired becaue I watched this comedy special last night by Dane Cook called Vicious Circle. Here is a link to a part of it from youtube.com. I highly suggest seeing the whole thing. I laughed my ass off.

Anyway, today was great. I got to finally meet the kids. And they were fantastic! The only class I can see the I'll have to turn on the strickness is my essentials math 9 class... but there's only 9 kids, so I think I can handle it. I'm planning for my classes tomorrow as we speak ... well, I'm taking a distraction break when i should be planning.

Those of you who know me, I got to finally introduce math journaling to my classes. And I think it will work. I read the entries so far and the kids are warming up to the idea, for sure. I'll have them using metacognition in math class before you can say ... well, metacognition.

Only one kid really bitched about the no MP3/cell phone/ipod rule. She mentioned that the admin. didn't mention anything about PSPs. I'm sooo going to bring it up with them!

I'd write more but I have to get back to planning for tomorrow and then I'm off to bed. I forgot what it's like to wake up at 6:30 and have to work all day.

P.S. Don't you think there should be a movie with John Lithgow and Anthony Hopkins playing brothers? They'd be a fun duo to watch in a movie.

P.P.S Wasn't House good? I actually welled up at the end. And next week looks so good when Cameron gives it to Cuddy for lying to House.

2 Comments:

  • At September 06, 2006 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad your first day went well. And "House" rocked.

     
  • At September 07, 2006 4:16 PM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    That's the format of blogs. If you read it daily (like you should) then the new one is at the top so you don't have to scrool ALL THE WAY to the bottom. I don't make up the rules, it just works that way. I'm glad I have some people leaving comments. It makes me feel like I'm not just writting this thing for myself. How can I offer insentives for people to comment?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home