Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Passing Tests and Chaperoning the Dance

So I had the math retests for those students who wanted to re-write. Everyone of them passed the re-test! Yeah! Even better, some of the students went from a D to an A! I was very proud of them. I've learned something here: other people's resources aren't as good as mine for the kids. For my grade 10 class, especially, the textbook and a reference book I have on the textbook don't fully meet the needs of my students. Of course, the textbook follows the curriculum practically to the T, but my students need more review of the basics than that. The textbook assumes the students remember everything they learned. In all reality, the students really don't remember anything from last year. So I make my own worksheets. True, that means more work for me, but it's a win for the students because they can actually do the work and feel confident about it.

In other news, tonight is the first school dance.



I was asked to be a chaperone. The last high school dance I chaperoned was an eye opener. It wasn't that long ago when I was in high school but things have changed in the dancing arena. But it's funny too. At the last dance, the kids dance like adults do in clubs, but the big difference is that the kids don't touch each other. Except for slow dances, but those aren't as popular as they were when I was in high school. I'd love to do an impression of the boys asking girls to dance because it is hysterical. They kinda gesture and the girl nods, and then the guy bends his knees and has one knee between a girls legs while she stands upright and they move to the music. The no touch thing took me awhile to get used to because I'm use to seeing dancing in clubs and in "adult" land, of course the people touch and it emulates sex. It's quite comical to watch the high school kids because the guys look pretty stupid with their knees bent in such a weird manner while trying to dance.

It will be interesting to see if the school dance here is the same as it is in the city, especially since this is a community event (true, all the kids under 13 have to leave at 9:00).

1 Comments:

  • At September 22, 2006 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're such a great teacher! I think having a relatively small class size is going to be a wonderful experience for you and for your students. They're going to reap the benefits of your emerging skills and professional competencies. I bet you'll be one of those teachers long remembered and appreciated by your students.
    Beginning with my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Gilmore, I still fondly remember the great teachers I had all the way up to my tech school graduation 10 years ago.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home