Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Friday, September 15, 2006

Thank God It's Friday!

Another week is almost over! It was a pretty good week, though. I hate to say this but I can't believe how much better my days are without that grade 9 class. I found the hard part is not knowing the kid's names and then not knowing who's attention I was trying to get. I knew like 4 or 5 kids name's really well and they were pretty good kids so when they would be talking with one of the "naughty" ones, I would call on the good kid's name. Terrible, I know, especially when I don't want the kids to associate my name use with negativity. I will have these kids again after the new year to teach them health education, but I know I will know them better.

It was school picture day for two days this week. This is a big deal to the community, let alone the kids. The kids were crazy! They were constantly talking about their hair and distracted everytime a class walked by the classroom on their way to the library. The kids were also using photos as a way of leaving class for long periods of time. My literacy class today was halved because the kids were "getting their photos done". Of the half gone, I bet most of them were just loitering in the hall. So we didn't do a lesson, we just did a wordsearch I made on puzzlemaker.com and I showed them a couple magic tricks.

For my independent study class, it was such a nice day, we all went out to work on the field. That was nice! And the best part is that the weather has been absolutely beautiful here. It's been sunny but not hot... unlike in the big city, where it's pissing rain. Ha ha ha!

It's great that it's Friday but my weekend will be a work one. I have two year plans to do (complete with government prescribed curriculum outcomes), two quizzes to invent, 3 books to read for health education, and hands-on activities to make up for the class to make them more fun.


My classroom is the third complete set of windows from the left. It's the one with the blinds down in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home