Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Math and Sex

Here is what the average grade 10 student knows about math:



1. Addition
2. Subtraction
3. Multiplication
4. Division
5. Simple Algebra ... that uses the previous items on the list.





That's it! They don't know exponent laws, ratios, cross multiplication, percents, square roots, cube roots, decimal conversion into a fraction, how many cm in a m, how to find the volume of a shape, or surface area. Sure they were taught all that stuff. But they don't remember it. It's taking me over a month to get through what the text book thinks is 8 lessons... OVER A MONTH! And I see the kids EVERY DAY! Someone needs to tell the textbook companies and the government that grade 10 students remember squat from the last 10 years. Hmm, do I seem a little frustrated?

Speaking of frustration, I'm going through serious sex withdrawal. Sorry to all those who think that's way to much info about me. But it's my blog and I vent what I want. Now I know how people going through drug rehab feel like. This is only the second time in my whole life I've had to go through sex withdrawal, and boy am I cranky. Which doesn't really help if I were actually searching for a fix. And of course it doesn't help that TV has sex everywhere so I see it all the time. I want to say that time will curb my craving, but I know it won't. I just know I stop wanting it really bad and then it will fall in my lap when I least expect it. But that doesn't help now! I would ask for suggestion to help the pain, but I know what kind of answers I'll get.

Tomorrow's a new day. I'll sleep on it and I'm sure I feel better.

P.S. Is it just me or does it seem strange that a blog site's spell checker doesn't recognize the word blog in their dictionary?

2 Comments:

  • At October 06, 2006 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At October 06, 2006 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lil, as for the fighting, i would let them handle it themselves. It would be a bad idea to get in the middle of a highschool dispute, and even worse to become the champion of one sides cause. I can't believe they dont teach this stuff in the PDP course.

    Too bad about the sex pains... there must be someone in town you can make yours!

    p.s. ALL of my roomates, danny included, are going through the same thing. I think it may be harder on me than it is on them!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home