Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The One That Got Away

Most of us have a "one". It's the person who is number one on the list. It's the person you would drop anyone for if that person said they wanted to be with you forever. You can be in a great relationship with someone else. You could even be married to someone else. And I'm not talking about a celebrity. If you have a "one", you know who I'm talking about.

I can only think of one moment in my post-pubescent life when I didn't have a "one". It was around the fourth year I was with Asshole Andrew (that's the one who dumped me when I thought he was about to propose) to about the time I moved here. Otherwise, I've always had a "one". At one point, when I was dating Alex, Asshole was my "one". For years, my "one" was a guy I was friends with and tried almost everything to get him to date me. For another couple of years, it was this super hot guy I was friends with but nothing ever happened because I was with Asshole and I just couldn't cheat. But I almost did once. That's another story though. I don't think I have a "one" right now and I think that makes me sad sometimes. Weird.

I know lots of people with "a one". I recently found out Asshole has "a one". I was pretty shocked when I found out because I had no idea. Not that I care, because I'm over him. I know this other guy who has "a one". I've never met his one, but the stuff he told me about her, I knew she was his one. He will never be with his "one" because she doesn't like him that way at all. And I told him that she's his "one" ... but not in those words. He got a bit miffed at me, but when she came back from her summer, he told me that he got those "one" feelings when he saw her. he asked me how to get over her. I have no idea how to get over "a one". It may be that you just find another "one". But, I have no clue. I got over my "one" without replacing him.

I have another guy friend who has a "one". He's told me about her (but he may not remember). I feel his is the most tragic of all because he will have this "one" until he finds the perfect girl for him. But he could be married to the perfect girl and still be pining for his "one". But he will realize his perfect girl is actually his "one". But if he never finds the perfect girl, he will forever pine for his "one".

I envy anyone who marries their "one" and that "one" is their "one" forever. That's the kind of love I want.

I wonder if I've ever been anyone's "one". That would be cool if I were.

1 Comments:

  • At October 06, 2006 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Once when your grandma was visiting us in B*****y, Dan Inkster's mom got together with her at our house for afternoon tea. Mrs. I and Grandma started discussing their mutual belief that a person really only falls in love deeply and truly once in a lifetime. I was probably 31 or 32 at the time, and felt like I hadn't put in enough years to weigh in on this one. I only remember feeling that I hadn't met my "one" yet. I knew it wasn't your dad, sad as that is.
    I had a couple of long-term relationships after that (The Perri and Terry Show!) and, even though I wanted each of them to be the "one," I knew neither of them was.
    Yeah, I finally met and married my "one." I had my eye on him, knowing that there was something important brewing, for 8 months before we knew it was love. We've been together as a couple for over 14 years, and it hasn't exactly been a walk in the park the whole time, but at the end of the day we're together. I used to have a roving eye, but nobody else has held the least attraction for me in all these years.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home