Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Thursday, September 28, 2006

What is going on?

I live in the a dream village, I swear. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop. Ok, it's not perfect, but it's damn sweet. The day ended, I'm sitting in my room making a pre-test for my grade 11s and two girls come into my class to say hi. One is in my grade 10 class and she constantly gets frustrated with me because she's having trouble with the work. I try hard with her and I've had tiny break-throughs with her but right when I think I've gotten through, she throws me for another loop. The second girl was in my math class from hell. She gave me a hard time in that class and tried her damnedest to either piss me off or make me swear.

Anyway, these two girls popped by after school and stayed for OVER AN HOUR chatting with me. We chatted about our families and friends, but of course in the safe way teachers are suppose to. They started to approached the grey area about drugs but I managed to steer them away with a funny cigarette story I had.

They were looking at some of my personal photos I have in the class ... a board I put up of over a dozen photos from the last couple of years. They saw one of me taken in August when I just got my hair cut and commented that they liked my hair like that. Of course they did, it had just been done by a professional. One girl said I was pretty but I dress kinda "m'eh". The picture they liked of me I was wearing a brown tanktop. They said I should wear stuff like that more often. I told them I wore that exact top yesterday ... with a blazer. They then changed their tune, "At least you don't dress like Ms. So-and-so. She looks like a hoochie." That cracked me up and I told them. Well, I can dress "m'eh" or I can look like a hoochie if I wear what they initially said I should wear. They changed the topic because I pointed out their flaw in logic.

Anyway, with all said and done, it was really nice to have the girls chat with me. And even though they have given me a hard time in the classroom, they're nice kids. And all the kids are like that in the community. The kids always say hi to me in the community ... if I initiate or not .... and they even stop me once in a while to chat. I really like it here ... it definitely makes the transition easier for me.



In other news, tomorrow is day 39 for me here. That's the length of stay the winner of Survivor stays in the game. I truly feel like a winner with my choice of coming here. I miss home soooo much (this move was nothing like the move from home to the big city where I rarely missed home. i still cry sometimes from missing everyone) an sometimes I wish I could just go back for even an hour, but I like it here to. Now all I need, is someone to cuddle.

P.S. Ms. So-an-so does not dress like a hoochie. She dresses a bit more casual and because she is super thin, she can get away with tighter clothes. But I would not consider anything she wears inappropriate.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home