Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Friday, November 10, 2006

Art

I got an email from Brilliant this week that said he went to the Emily Carr exhibit at the art gallery this week. He saw lots of native art and commented that I would have liked it.



That comment got me thinking about art. I enjoy art. But not as much as I think some people think I do.

When I was a little kid, I liked art class in school, probably just like every kid. I also displayed most of my projects on my bedroom walls. My bedroom was actually something to see when I was little. I shared a room with my sister. On her side of the room, she had New Kids on the Block posters practically wallpaper the walls and the ceiling. I had my childhood art.

My mom encouraged me to do my art. I even took an art class outside of school. Art was a part of my mom's social life. Quite a few of her friends were local artist and I remember going to lots of art shows as a child. I think my mom thought I would be an artist when I grew up.

I took art in high school. The teacher was really nice but the clas was too structured for me and too into realism. I didn't do so hot in that class.

I still like seeing art but I am not a conniseur, by any means. When the Group of Seven collection came to my hometown, I went to see it. I saw some nice things, but I mainly went to say I went. There was really only one piece I liked, and I don't remember it. I don't have much art in my house. I just have a poster Asshole framed for me and some family photos. I have a little more art in my classroom - I have a neat picture that Asshole did (one of the things I didn't destroy after the recent drama) and one that a student drew for me.

I have done some recent art. It's on various people's Bebo pages. My best piece must be of Andrew (a TA at the school) guarding some puke. It is truly a masterpiece.


4 Comments:

  • At November 12, 2006 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Lil, I now have a blog as well. I started about a week ago. I also have a separate one for my cat if you can believe it.
    That's a little crazy I know. Anyhow, here are the links:
    http://blue-toccata.blogspot.com/
    and
    http://talkcat.blogspot.com

    I was wondering if I could add you to my link list?

    Hope your cable is up and running.

     
  • At November 12, 2006 8:04 PM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    Yes, Toccata, please add me to your link list. And I did get my cable back. I'm still getting it for free. I'm wondering how much bad karma I'm getting for not marching down to the Band Office and actually paying for it.
    That is crazy you have one for your cat. But, I know about Sammy Jo. I actully have remembered her name all these years too.

     
  • At November 12, 2006 8:14 PM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    Fuck, except Sammy Jo is a boy. Opps!

     
  • At November 12, 2006 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's funny. Of course Sammy Jo is a boy. I however did not know this when I first found him and had actually named him Samantha because he had bewitched and betwixed me. When I found out he was a boy decided a name change was in order.

    p.s. The rain right now is unbelievable. How is it up your way. We've had lots of flooding down this way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home