Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Thursday, November 30, 2006

National Addiction Awareness Week

It was Addiction Awareness Week at school this week. The kids were pretty forward in asking me questions. Perhaps it’s because I’m young and they can relate to me the most. Perhaps it’s because I’m new and they are testing me of what I’ll say. Perhaps it’s because I’m usual pretty honest and I’ve told them a little about my youth (I did bring in my yearbooks with the celebrity I went to school with and they saw pictures of me in high school). It could be a combination of these things.

This week I got asked a couple questions that were tricky. I also thought about what I’d do if kids asked me some hard questions. I want to be as honest as possible because a) I’m a terrible liar and b)I want to be as real as possible. There are also good ways to answer the questions that deflect a bad answer and get the kid thinking about something else.

I got asked if I’ve ever been drunk before. I answered yes ... because I have. Most of you know about puke-a-rama at New Year’s 2000. The kid asked me when. I said when I was young and stupid. Of course I’m not going to tell the story of the last time I was drunk.

I got asked if I ever bullied someone. I said yes. I said I help spread rumours about some people in high school. We’ve been studying bullying in HCE. Of course I didn’t tell them about how I’d make fun of this nerdy girl at school to behind her back and to her face.



No kid asked me if I’ve taken drugs. I had a good answer for that one (that I’ve used before). I answer yes. And the kid asks me what I’ve taken and I say Tylonol, Asperin, Ny Quil, and Cleritin. When I’ve given this answer kids usual just roll their eyes at me. I waiting for when a kid asks me if I’ve taken illegal drugs .. or ask if I’ve ever abuse drugs. The abuse one is easy. No... and the reason (which I won’t tell kids) is because I’ve tried a couple of drug and the experiences were awful so I’ll never try them again. I have an answer for the illegal drug question too. I tell them I don’t want to answer it and then I’ll say why. If I answer yes, the kid will probably change their opinion of me and I don’t want that. If I say no, then the kid may think I’m lying (which I will be) or may change their opinion of me. Either way, I don’t like the consequences.

Here is a question that I thought of that has stumped me on an answer. Why is it ok for adults to drink and not teenagers? There are the BS answers. Because it’s the law. Because you’re still growing and you need to be healthy. Because kids usually don’t act responsible with alcohol. But why is it ok for adults? A lot of adults don’t make the right decisions about alcohol. How many adults do you know drink and drive? I know a few. And it’s people my parents’ age that are the worst. People in their early 30s and under have been lectured to death about drinking and driving. And most adults I know buy alcohol to get drunk. True, most of the “adults” I know are quite young and still like to go to clubs and bars, but we’re not very responsible when it comes to alcohol. We drink to be stupid and get laid easier ... and get up the balls to sing Karaoke.



Maybe it’s ok because we truly understand the consequences of drinking. Hmm, do we really? I’ve done some stupid s*** while drunk, and it’s all been when I was legal drinking age. I was so paranoid of the bad things I heard about alcohol when I was younger, I was too scared to do anything the handful of times I drank under age. I understand (not just think I do) some of the consequences of drinking because I’ve been around this earth long enough to see them. I also know enough nurses/doctors/paramedic and police officers to hear the stories

So why is it OK for adults to drink and not teenagers? I don’t have a good answer for that. Is there a good answer that doesn’t make you look like an asshole hypocrite? Maybe if you are totally alcohol free you can get away with answering that question.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At December 01, 2006 1:51 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    I don't think there is a good answer for that one but I do know that alcohol is supposed to affect the brain more acutely in someone young than an adult.

    Drinking and driving is probably the one thing that I never have done. Drinking and biking, now that's a different story. Of course I also broke two fingers while attempting that feat. Oh yes, adults can definitely be dumb!

     
  • At December 01, 2006 9:49 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    That Santa picture by the way is absolutely disgusting!

    Hope the camera is batteried up and ready to go. When I first used mine I thought I must have had defective batteries put in because they ran out so fast. I was told not to view your pictures from the camera because that sucks up a lot of battery. I didn't know about the computer though so I bet I've wasted battery power there as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home