Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I'm getting old

I was writing the date on the board, like I do every morning and I wrote today's date: Nov. 21.

I like the 21st because I was born on the 21st. The 21st of June. So it was my 5 month b-day. And then I realized next month will be my half year birthday. And being a math teacher, I know if you have a half you would round up to a whole (as opposed to rounding down).

Then I thought ahead and realized... this time next month, by rounding up, I will be closer to 30 than I am to 25.

My god that is scary. I'm almost 30. That is some freaky shit. At least I don't look it :)

In other news, I've accidentally said "fuck" twice now in front of students. In school. While I was teaching. Thank god only three students have heard me.

It made me realize I have to go cold turkey on the swearing. I'm not doing such a hot job. I've sworn twice in this entry already. The crazy things is that I was swearing over the same student both times.

The first time I was marking tests in the independent learning class I "teach". When I mark, I'm really rooting for all the students to do well. Well, one kid made a stupid mistake and got the question wrong. I said the F-word because I really wanted him to get the answer right. Two students heard me here.

The second time was when I was looking out the window. I saw my student returning to school (to my class) with a hot chocolate from the store. He had asked to go to the store and I said no. That makes sense because he needed to do math, not go to the store. I'm also responsible for students while they are suppose to be in my class, so if anything happened to him, I could be held liable. Plus, the store merchants are not suppose to sell food to the kids during school hours. About 5 minutes later, he asked if he could go to the vending machine for a juice. I said yes to this because the vending machine is a 15 second walk from my classroom.

So I was pretty pissed to see he went to the store anyway because now I'd have to have "a talk" with him. So I said, "F***in' Hell". I didn't mean to say it out loud but it slipped. The student sitting closest to me heard me. When he pointed it out, I almost replied with, "S***! i just swore! But I caught myself.

So please help me and yell at me when I swear for the next month.

2 Comments:

  • At November 22, 2006 9:11 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    Oh shut up! Getting old. Oh my god wait until you reach 40 and then we'll talk. But by then I will be in my...luckily I can't add that high to figure it out!

     
  • At December 07, 2006 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    afraid i have to agree with tocatta on this one...shut up ....KID

     

Post a Comment

<< Home