Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Saturday, January 06, 2007

New Year's Resolutions


Ok, I know. I'm like 6 days late. But I wanted to come up with something good... and accomplishable. Here's what I came up with.

1. Get my teeth fixed. This has always been a dream of mine. And now that I have dental coverage and money for cosmetic stuff, I'm going to get them done. There is no dentist up here so I have to wait for the summer. The big thing now, is that one of my front teeth died a couple of years ago, and it's starting to show. The tooth has gotten more noticeable yellow, and in black lights (and the light reflected off my computer) the tooth is black. Eww! I'm also going to get braces. That means I'll start to get IDed more in bars and liquor stores. It will be a sacrifice I'm willing to take.

2. Stop being jealous. I've never thought of myself being jealous before. I'm a loyal friend and I am always happy for my friends when good things happen to them. But this only applies to friends. People I don't know, or hardly know... all bets are off. I am one green-eyed monster. I've realized this is a deterrent to me making friends. I've made friends over the last few years (and months) but only with people I'm not in competition (or what I believe to be competition) with. This is a lesson I learned from F. I don't like blaming others for my problems, because I believe my choices and my destiny are my own and I choose how they turn out. But, I think this jealously came from my relationship with Asshole. He was very possessive of me, and his influence wore off on me. It's strange because I was never jealous of other woman around him, but after him, I was a jealous person. I think jealously stems from insecurity, which is a hard thing from me to admit about myself. Maybe the underlining goal should be to be more secure.

3. Not everyone is my student ... so don't treat everyone that way. Enough said.

4. Don't be such a homebody. I need to get out more. It's a bit more of a challenge here, but I can try to practice for my summer back in the city.

That's all I can think of now. I think this will give me plenty to work with this year.

1 Comments:

  • At January 07, 2007 4:00 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    I have never thought of you as a jealous kind of person. It doesn't show. Jealousy is also a trait I think we all have in varying degrees.

    I had to laugh at number 3. I think I need to steal your number 3 and make it my own!

    Oh no, I need to steal number 4 as well. Mine is not so much on getting out because I love to walk and bike so I get out but I need to socialize more. I like to be alone far too much.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home