Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!!

Happy Birthday Mom! Dad left today. I’m all by myself. I did some grocery shopping today. I got home and tried to open some cans and realized that I don’t own a can opener. I had to go all the way back to the store to buy one. $11.95 later, and I was ready for lunch. Nothing too exciting happened today. Just some chilling out, unpacking and cleaning. Days like these make me miss everyone more. I can’t wait until school starts and I get to do some serious work, meet some new people, and get on with it.

At the same time, I’m getting a bit nervous. At the bank today, the teller welcomed me to the community and I said I’m excited to be here. She then said that I wouldn’t be for long and then said just kidding. And then at the general store, the clerk asked me if I was a new teacher and I said yes. She asked what grade I’ll be teaching and I said high school and she gave me this weary look that said, “Good luck, buddy!” Well, I’ll just have to deal with what comes to me.

1 Comments:

  • At August 28, 2006 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the HB, hon. It was pretty low-key, but your sis brought me some cake from Murchie's, and I got to be a Bad Grandma by feeding KayRay cake and meatloaf for dinner...
    Let this be a lesson to you about what you'll pay to be a retail consumer in a tiny town... 8^)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home