Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Friday, September 22, 2006

Friends

The dance last night was pretty typical, there was some drama with people who didn't want to follow dance protical (about admission) but other than that, the kids were great. By the end of the night the kids were just jumping and dancing, none of that fake club dancing. Highlights for me were when the kids danced "slow dances", they all dance: girls with girls, guys with guys, and in groups of two or three. It was a nice way to include everyone and it was sooo not sexual in anyway. At one point the students grabbed us chaperones and we danced liked fools to Kelly Clarkson's Since You've Been Gone. I danced so hard, I dance my keys right out of my hoodie.

Anyway, here is the real message I wanted to write. Today was pro-D and we talked about assest development in kids. I was inspired to help the kids with this and I'm excited about Monday when I get to see my students again.

Yet, as we were reading about the 40 assests, I started thinking of a friend of mine that I care for deeply. And I was thinking about how they probably had a small amount of these assests in their childhood. It made me realize my philosophy on friends.

I try to only surround myself with people that I can trust, that promote me to be the best I can be, that will call me on my bullshit but also appreciate my kindness, that like me for me and not what I can give them, and people that make me feel good about myself, them and our relationship. I also encourage this for other people. I've had many people ask me how I am so positive and motivated and happy. I honestly think that most of my being comes from surrounding myself with good people and by purging my life of poisonous people. But, at the same time, you have to recognize that good people have hard times, and that they need patience.

So, to all my friends, know that I have you in my life for a reason. And I hope I am in your life because I give you all the things you give me. If you ever need a friend, know that I am here and I support you and you can call on me and I will do everything I can to support you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home