Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Monday, December 04, 2006

Stinky bag

I have this student who leaves her bag in my classroom because the students at our school only have those half lockers. I'm fine with that except she goes super nuts with this perfume spray she has and her bag wreaks of the stuff. The worse thing is that I have the same scent in my collection. Needless to say, I will never wear it in this community for fear of people telling me I'm copying a student's signature scent.



It turns out the students in my HCE 8 class actually learned something! They are raving about how much they didn't "like" learning about STIs. God, I hope they didn't. But they've actually retained the information. they are currently trying to scare my current students with all the awful things they learned about, like the symptoms of syphilis and the difference between gonorrhea and chlamydia. I'm ecstatic that they learned this stuff! Am I a little perverse in my excitement about learning?

3 Comments:

  • At December 04, 2006 9:47 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    I still cannot believe you had to teach that stuff!

    Here is a new site from the ministry of education that may prove helpful: http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/att/
    To be honest they just sent it to me today and I have no downloaded anything yet.

    It contains different tools for math and science 10-12. Do you teach grade math at all? If so be warned that the provincial has been so far killing the students so make sure they practice like crazy the sample exams available.

    I hope you won't think that's unwanted advice but the first two years the overall provincial average was below 50%! Yikes!

     
  • At December 05, 2006 7:10 AM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    Do I teach what grade? 10? 12?
    I teach grade 10 apps math. I've already started given them provincial exam questions and we'll finish the text book by May so we'll have a whole month to study for the provincial.
    I'll be teaching math 12 apps in January. I've never taught grade 12 so I'll have to be right on top of that.

     
  • At December 08, 2006 12:00 AM, Blogger Toccata said…

    I see I left out part of the sentence. Man, my brain this week has been sucked dry by math!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home