Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Thursday, August 24, 2006

What I learned Today

I just found out I will initially be making almost $1000 less net per pay check (which is once a month) because my pay scale has yet to be determined by the governing boards. It takes so long for my final transcripts and recommendations from the my post-secondary institution to be sent that I’ll be earning less. I think I will get reimbursed for the amount once my certification gets sent. I wish I could by-pass the post secondary institution taking their sweet time in sending my transcripts. The kicker is also all the documentation will be sent to my hometown because I can’t access the internet to change my address with all these people! Ahhh! How frustrating. I guess this is the curse of the new teacher.

I went for a jog around own today. I used my GPS to make a four kilometer run. While jogging, I found the village bar. Sweet!!!! Not that I can go there often because of the small town gossip mill. As I was returning from my jog, some of my neighbors invited me over. I got to meet some of the teachers, a VP, and a constable. We all had beers at one of the teacher’s houses… well I wasn’t drinking and another teacher wasn’t. I spent the evening observing. Here is what I learned.

1) The town dump is the best place for wildlife viewing … especially bears.

2) No promiscuity for me!


A teacher who preceded me was the talk of the teachers still for hooking up with a ferry operator and one of the teachers. True, she was known for being a bit crazy and burning relationships with everyone. All I can say, is damn, another year of abstinence for me. All the new teachers and constables (some of the only local non-native people) are women and it seems all the young men are married.

3) The teachers play a finger game where all day they try to secretly give each other the finger. And never finger the secretaries! This is too nuts! As if the kids don’t know what’s going on! I can’t wait until I’m initiated in this game.



4) The teachers swear like me. I’m in big trouble here. I was hoping to get over my swearing. I’m holding my breath that I don’t drop the F-bomb in class.

Everyone was really cool! I know I will have some great co-workers here. I’m looking forward to tomorrow! I’ll finally have internet! Yeah!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At August 28, 2006 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you're in for quite a bit of thinkin' on your feet. *tsk* Naughty teachers...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home