Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Monday, August 28, 2006

My First Day At The School

Today was my first day in the school. I got there at 8:30 to get a tour of the school with the rest of the new teachers. The school is so nice.

And then I got assigned my very own classroom. It's all mine.

There were LOTS of posters and borders for us to choose from in the office. I chose, of course, the shiney border. But Apparently, I'm not proficient at putting up paper on a bulletin board.



And there were lots of resourses already waiting in the classroom for me from the previous teacher(s). Now I start planning. I also have to have a year plan don by the end of September.

The best part is I get evaluated three times this year. Ahhh, just like my practicum all over again. At least I'm use to it ... but I thought I was done with reflecting. Oh, well. I'm the only teacher fresh out of teaching school, so at least I'll have one advantage over the other new teachers ... I'm use to this junk!

Tomorrow is the the classroom management workshop. I took classroom management this summer as part of my course work for my teaching certificate. Finally, it will be nice to see some useful strategies instead of all the theory I learned in my course.

I got my tentative classlist today too. I'll be teaching a total of about 5o students max. That's less than two of my classes during my parcticum! At least this way, I'll hopefully learn all the student's names quickly.

Anyway, it's time to plan for my classes.

2 Comments:

  • At August 30, 2006 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! I had no idea classes were so big now. Makes me long for the good old days when class sizes were 30-35 students, tops.

     
  • At August 31, 2006 9:07 AM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    No, I'll have 50 students all together. That's spread out over 5 classes. I have one class with 5 students in it. My biggest class is 13 students so far.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home