Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Out of Popular demand ...

So every year that I've lived on my own (except living in res becaue it was BANNED to have a live tree) , I've gotten a Christmas tree some way or another. My first one was pretty funny. I lived with my boyfriend and we were spending our first Christmas away from our parents' homes. We were both students so didn't have much money. I wanted a little something and I saw this evergreen branch on the ground (how pitiful is that!), took it home, put it into a mug of water and tacked the top of it to the wall. I wanted something to put the presents "under" ... but it was more like in front of. It was ridiculous to look at too. It had eight decoration on it that I "bought" at Canadian Tire with Canadian Tire money.

My second tree (and all the ones since) came from Asshole's "back yard". He lived in a Strata and every year, we would go out and find a tree and saw it down. Of course, we would do this late at night ... because it wasn't exactly legal ... but it wasn't outright illegal either. Most of these tree were quite Charlie Brown-esque. But I loved ever single one of them. In fact, with the first one, I took a little Polaroid of and would keep on my desk during my final exams. I still have the picture in my wallet.

Here's my tree for two different years. It's funny because the candy cane on the wall
stayed there ALL year. You gotta love me in the sweatpants too. Soo attractive! I
look much better now. Ha! I would have scanned in the pictures but I don't have a
cord to hook up the scanner to the computer yet.



Ok, but here is what everyone wanted to hear about. My last tree from Asshole was in this cute attic apartment I lived in. It was three stories up ... a steep flight of stairs too. The tree made a little mess coming in the apartment, like most live trees do.

Well, Chirstmas came and went and the decorations came off (around the 2nd of January). The tree was still standing. Around mid-January it was time to get rid of this thing. The closest mall was having a tree recycling day so I wanted to take the tree to that (the funny thing is that I carried the tree to the mall). Anyway, the tree was very dry. You'd look at this thing funny and it would shed a zillion needles on the floor. It would have made a giant mess hauling this thing across the apartment to the stair case and down the steep stairs.

I'm a problem solver, as a math person. The tree happened to be in front of a big window that happened to have the capability to open. So I called my roommate over, we open the window and chuck the tree out. We had to really give it the ol' heave-ho or else it wouldn't have cleared the roof and then one of us would have had to climb out the window after the tree to push it off the roof. Good thing it didn't come to that. It was great! We had very little to clean-up and it was a great way to get out some angst. We had so much fun doing it, we were almost tempted to go get it, bring it back up and throw it out again.

The end of the story is that we threw it so hard, it almost landed in the neighbours yard. That would have been interesting to explain to the neighbours: how our Christmas tree made it over their 10 foot fence.

I hope that didn't disappoint anyone. I can image some of you were thinking I lost it with the tree and threw it out the window, decorations and all. I'm not a barbarian, you know!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At December 09, 2006 11:36 PM, Blogger Vancouver Island Mommy said…

    That's so funny! I think last year was the first year away from home when I DID have a tree. And I've lived away from home for about 9 years! Anyway, glad you're getting a tree (not from Asshole's yard), and we should have one up when you come home.

     
  • At December 10, 2006 7:46 AM, Blogger Toccata said…

    I remember the picture of your first real tree. I also remember that teeny tiny little camera that took instant stamp sized pictures.

     
  • At December 10, 2006 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i was kinda hoping for a story filled with descriptions of you going psychoytic on the tree and tossing it from the window lights decorations an all...typical guy i know.....maybe this year

     

Post a Comment

<< Home