Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Saturday, January 13, 2007

My New Years

Ok, I know it was almost two weeks ago, but I finally got around to blogging about it.

I had one of the most perfect New Year's Eves in my life. It definitely ranks among the top 3. What I find interesting, is that it wasn't anything too special or out-of-the-ordinary. Maybe that's why I liked it so much.

It started off pretty good. I was my second day in the Big City and Matt and I decided to go for a jog. I had bought some new jogging clothes in my home town and I was dying to try them out ... you know ... to see if that wicking technology actually worked. He kept telling me that he didn't really run on the track. I kept telling him that I jog pretty slow and I'm sure he'd keep up. Well, he did so well, he lapped me! I found that quite funny. The clothes were quite effective. They passed my grueling inspection and are way better than a pair of hand me down stretch pants and a long sleeved t-shirt.

We got back to his place and I was fussing with my suitcase, shuffling things about and thinking about what I'd do that day. Matt's friends invited us to play poker. I had never played poker. I was in, it sounded like fun. There was a $20 buy in. Hmmm, I got nervous about that, but Matt convinced me it was all good. He then told me I had 30 minutes to get ready. I just laughed. Yeah, right, half an hour to shower, dress, do my hair, etc. for New Year's Eve. He must be kidding. He wasn't. I did it. I didn't get to really do my hair. But that was OK.

I think I looked pretty hot that night. I had on this royal blue, satin shirt with my hot jeans. I remember feeling soft and flirty.

We went and played poker. I, of course, did terribly. It was almost embarrassing. I was first out. But I had lots of fun. I got to sit in this really sweet chair. It was leather and it rocked (as in moved).

From there we went to a house party. I had such a great time at the house party. It was a total sausage party, so that made things interesting. I was the new girl that nobody knew so I had some great conversations. The other three girls at the party were super nice. We engaged in some fun small talk. I guess the party was nothing so special, per say, but I just had a lot of fun. Some of the highlights include, playing foozeball and losing harshly (I was not having a good game winning day!), drinking more than one drink and being able to function well, the Christmas tree fight, getting caught in a slightly compromising position and being able to laugh about it, and the crazy cleany-magnet thing on the fish tank.

I remember being hungry all day because all had that day was coffee and a bowl of cereal until we were on our way to the party ... where I got a sandwich at a 24-hour convenience store. Pizza was ordered at the party and someone made a face made of toppings.



So the party's wrapping up, and Matt and I need to catch a bus or a taxi. Well, we managed to miss the last bus and trying to get through to a taxi company was difficult. We finally got through only to be told that we'd have to wait about and hour for a taxi. The operator told Matt that if we saw an empty taxi, we should just jump in the window! About 10 seconds later, this taxi was driving by and Matt just walks into the street trying to flag it. We got the taxi ... my hero!

I just remember being in the taxi, feeling great that I had such a good night. Matt was being super sweet too. I'll remember that moment as me being so peaceful and happy.

It was great to have such a lovely night, because other parts of my vacation were quite difficult.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home