Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Playing

So it's after school and I'm on my way home from the store. I walk by the school playground on my way home from the store. There were a bunch of kids playing and Andrew was supervising. I went over to say hi. I noticed the kids were having lots of fun on this thing that slides on a rail. See pictures for illustration. The kids use momentum to swing back to a platform. So the kids (and I and anyone under about 5' 11") are too short to reach the slidey-thing from the ground so if the kid doesn't make it back to the platform ,they usually need a push. This is a complicated playground apparatus, but I'm not going to sit here and write about the whole thing because it detracts from my blog.




Anyway, the kids are having lots of fun. So I want to try. As I'm standing in line, some of the kids are making small talk with me and ask me my name. I tell them.

"Oh, I've heard of you!" One kid says.

"I hope it was good what you heard about me," I reply.

"Oh yeah!"

That made me feel good.

So I go on the slidey thing. I make it to the other end fine, but I didn't bounce off the other end well enough and I didn't have enough momentum to make it to the platform again. So I had to let go. But I've seen some kids have to do this and they manage to throw the handle back. I didn't even manage to do that!!!

And to add insult to injury, my arms are killing me. So I've come up with a new workout for adults. It's called "playing". You do the monkey bars and the flips and do the slidey thing. You are bound to get great upper body strength. And its fun too! I'm going to start my new workout tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home