Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Success

I saw this poem at school and it really spoke to me.

What is Success?

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by
a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed
easier because you have lived;

This is to have succeeded.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Over Christmas, I asked a friend if he died today, would he have been happy with his life? He said no. I thought about it, and I feel I would. Not that I want to die any time soon. But I feel like I've lived a good life that has been fulfilling. I hope to live my life like this poem, and I think I've done a pretty good job so far.

3 Comments:

  • At January 19, 2007 9:51 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    Hey, I'm actually here! Snarky Blogger wouldn't let me connect to your blog the last couple of days. Is the evaluation over and done with? Hope your weekend is an awesome one. Provincials in a week so I'm working.

     
  • At January 20, 2007 9:22 AM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    The evaluation went well. It was a choatic class, but I'll do fine in the written evaluation.
    Good luck with provincials!

     
  • At January 20, 2007 6:01 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    I knew you would do fine. I didn't want to tell you this story before your evaluation but I can now. I was worried it would scare you. In my first year of teaching I had my first evaluation and the class was absolutely golden. I could have hugged them all. The second evaluation turned out to be with the same class. I don't know if I was over confident or what but I assumed they would once again be golden. Trust me, they weren't! To say it was chaotic would probably be putting it in a nice light. I could not believe they were the same kids. That time I wanted to strangle them, each and every one of them! But, when I got my evaluation it ended up better than the first and it was because of how I handled myself in a class from hell.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home