Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Identity

So today, I'm in the general store and the person in front of me is having her groceries scanned in. The person behind me is chatting with her, and sees that she's buying canned oysters. She jokes with the person in front of me that it must be a hot night today (mind you, the entire time one of my student's is standing right there. She the niece of the lady in front of me). The lady in front, jokes back that it's not even Friday either.

I know that oysters are considered an aphrodisiac ... but they are usually raw and on the half shell. Well, I was informed by the lady behind me that canned oysters are the village aphrodisiac. Then she said I should get some. I kind of giggled nervously and said I'd keep that in mind. She then asked me if I was the one dating R. Nope, not me. It's my co-worker. But man, gossip spreads here. I think everyone here knows that one of the new, young teachers in dating R. So all you have warned me that people will know (and talk), I heading you.

Anyway, the lady continued by saying that I should snap up a man here before June. I asked why, do they all go away then. She said yes. Strange conversation.

Another identity moment I had was in class. One student (the same one who hacked into Coldplay's site) was asking me about a new musician who has a very similar name to mine. This musician is English. He said, well, she could be you. She's white. I replied that she may be white and have a similar name as me, but her eyes and hair are dark. I continued by saying that I have light eyes. Here's a picture.


He then said to me, "You have light eyes!?!" And then looked into my eyes for like the first time. I replied that I have blue eyes.

He just looked at me and said, quite surprised, "You're a white lady!" He seemed shocked by this realization. Do my blue eyes totally define me as such? Did he never think of me as white until that moment? Hmmm, the mysteries.

2 Comments:

  • At February 02, 2007 9:29 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    Question: are you snapping the pictures of you by yourself or do you get someone else to snap them for you. Your pictures are turning out really well. By the way I like your Flickr site. You've got some nice pics there. The area you are living is so pretty.

     
  • At February 03, 2007 10:06 AM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    All the one of me are snapped by me. Most of them are those ones where you hold your arm out as far as you can. I finally just learned how to use the timer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home