Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Top Ten Shuffle

As a tribute to Toccata (who got the idea from someone else), I thought I'd do a top ten shuffle.

1. If It Makes You Happy - Sheryl Crow
2. Just Missed the Train - Kelly Clarkson
3. Smack That - Akon feat. Eminem
4. Dot (Shut up) - Destiny's Child
5. The More I Talk - David Shumka
6. In the Water I am Beautiful - City and Colour
7. Gloomy - Matt Costa
8. Must get Out - Maroon 5
9. Santa Monica - Theory of a Deadman
10. Let's Get it On - Matthew Good band

I'm gonna comment on Smack That for a while. The first time I "heard" this song it was coming out of one of my grade 8's mouth. I don't quite know if he knows what he was saying:

Smack that all on the floor
Smack that give me some more
Smack that 'til you get sore
Smack that, oh ohhh ohhh oh

The next time I heard about this song was from one of my grade 10s when she was commenting that she hates in the video how he inhales in the jail cell when he's singing the song. Hmm, so many things wrong with that sentence. I finally heard the song. And it's catchy, dammit! So much so that I downloaded it from iTunes ... I actually paid 99ยข for it!

I looked up "Smack That in the urban dictionary. I was wondering if it had anything to do with "Hit me" like in that stupid Britney Spears song. Smack that refers to the noise made when doing it doggie style! Oh my!

I'm a bit torn about liking the song. Do I like the message it sends out? Well, I'm not comfortable talking about sexual positions in public. But a lot of songs are about sex, they just disguise it better. They talk about making love ... which I guess sounds better because it implies some sort of feelings involved. Which is a message that society accepts more.

But is there really that much difference between the acceptable love songs that talk about holding each other while they make passionate love all night long, or about a guy who likes to fuck his girl really hard from behind?

4 Comments:

  • At February 17, 2007 10:42 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    Hey, about time you joined the Friday Random Shuffle! Can never get enough of Matthew Good.

     
  • At February 18, 2007 10:33 AM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    Oh, it's a Friday thing. I was a day off. It's funny you mention Matthew Good because I just received five of his old albums in the mail this week. I've become a huge fan over the last little while.

     
  • At February 19, 2007 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First let me say I so enjoy reading all about your adventures since you left! Then let me say is it bad when you're gr. 3 and 4's are singing that song and you hope they don't have a clue what it means?

     
  • At February 20, 2007 6:17 PM, Blogger Small Town Teacher said…

    Aleta! I'm so glad you're reading! Yeah, another favorite of mine is when kids are singing, In da club by 50 cent.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home