Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Stories from “Abroad”


Here’s a funny picture I got when I was coming back from the gym with A. I thought it was funny because what is an “ass pepper” anyway? I know, I know, it probably stands for assorted peppers, but it was still funny.

So I was looking forward to eating fast food because we don’t have it up here in the Small Town. My second day down, I met up with one of my friends from education school and we went to the mall for some retail therapy. Of course we had to have lunch so we headed to the food court. What I really wanted was a Quizno’s sub but the line up was so long and since I’m not use to standing in lines, I decided to go to New York Fries for some poutine. Ahh, finally fast food. I was practically drooling because it had been months since I chowed down on heart-stopping grease.

As I was coming to the table, I was balancing the tray on my hand in an odd way as I was sitting down BAM, I spilled the whole thing on the seat next to me. After I swore like a truck driver, I up-righted the container to be left with three edible fries (Sorry, no 3 second rule for me).



This might have been a sign for me that maybe I shouldn’t be eating junk food. Nah! the fries weren’t very good – I think New York Fries has changed their oil to something more “nutritious”. I decided this was actually a blessing (a waste of $5, true) since I now had room in my stomach for some other fast food delicacy. I then went to A&W and had a Mozza Burger. Mmmm, it was so tastey.

I managed to eat a lot on my vacation including McDonald’s, Subway, Tim Horton’s, various travel food (including a buffet on a boat) and several "real" restaurants.

In other news, I got offered another one year contract for next year to continue teaching up here. I'm going to accept it. I'm pretty happy about that. It's nice to know I'll have a job next year. I also did really well on my evaluation, so when I do leave here, I'll have a good record to show future employers. Of course, I requested to not be teaching Health and Career Education. I check the tentative schedule and I'm down for teaching it. Oh well.

I finally figured out what I'll do when teaching that class. I'm testing my method on my new group (my last group for the year, phew). Every Thursday and
Friday will be movie day. I have 6 movies all lined up.
Office Space - Career Education (the joys of working in a cubical)
Dazed and Confused - Bullying and drug abuse
Super Size Me - Nutrition
Fahrenheit 9-11 – Bullying and school dynamics
Dangerous Minds - School is a right. Take advantage of it!
Kids - (very controversial) AIDS and sexual promiscuity

My last group was royally pissed off when they learned this group got to watch movies every week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home