Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Monday, March 05, 2007

Hot for Teacher

Well, it finally happened ... I have been made a sexual object while being a teacher. Let me explain.

First off, I'd like to comment on my sexuality. I think I have a good sexual side. I've commented on some sexual issues in this blog. I also think I have healthy sex drive and enjoy exploring that.

But never, ever do I even hint at this in my classroom. I try to be as sexless as possible. True, I look professional and nice, but I consciously wear things with no cleavage and no midriff showing. I also never talk about my love life and I refuse to answer any such questions about it. I'm not just saying this because it's part of the teacher's code of ethics, I honestly think I go the extra mile to be this way. It works because the students have never joked with me with sexual innuendos. Never. And I'm glad.

Part of my reasons for this is because I'm a new teacher who is fairly young ... but more important I look young (I always get ID'd when I buy alcohol). This works partly to my advantage because I think some students feel more comfortable with me because they think I can relate to them because I'm closer to their age than other teachers. But, the whole young thing can work to a huge disadvantage if the students think they can date me or if they sexualize me.

Well, I have my profile and some pictures up on a popular Myspace-type forum that the majority of the students here use. Actually, I joined it to spy on them. But I've shared pictures of my friends and family and the kids chat with me on there about school and the community and stuff ... all innocent. 99% of my contacts on this site are my students or other students in the school.

Well, the dad of one of my students (she's a 17 year old girl) left a comment on my picture (that was publicly published) that read, "Van Halen said it best when they said I'm HOT for teacher".



Ahhhh! Oh my! I deleted the comment because I didn't want the students to see it ... especially his daughter since she frequents my site.

What was this guy thinking? First, I'm young enough to be his daughter! Second, why on earth would he sexualize a teacher that teaches his own daughter? Thirdly, what does he think other students would do when they see that? Fourthly, if he really wanted a chance with me (which he has none, especially now) , why would he say something like that publicly?

I don't have the nerve to tear him a new one publicly (unless he leaves another comment like that or asks me why I deleted his comment) because as much as I don't want to be sexualized in a semi-school setting, I don't want to be the uptight teacher with "no sense of humour" in a community I'm trying to infiltrate. Honestly, I don't feel victimized here (even though the comment was a classic example of sexual harassment) but I do feel a bit angry and mystified that this dad didn't think before he posted a comment like that about his daughter's teacher in a place crawling with other students.

11 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home