Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Monday, February 19, 2007

Dude

I'm on a dude crusade... I told one of my co-workers this and she got the wrong idea so let me explain.

I say "dude" way too much! As in,

"Dude! You so can't do that!"

Anyway, we have a token economy at school where kids can earn prizes with tokens they earn from school staff. This month's focus is "support". So I'm asking the students to support me in not saying dude. I told each of my classes, and any other student around, that if they heard me say dude, they could call me on it and I'd give them a token. I commented that this deal was also valid outside school.

Today is day one, and so far I've given away more than half a dozen tokens. My big slip up was when I was chasing a student back into class, and I said, "Dude! As If!" I was the first one to catch me, but a couple of students who knew about the deal ran up to me to collect their token (some from way down the hall too, but it was quiet in the hall so they heard me).

A couple of people commented on my use of dude when I mentioned my crusade. Two students said that I got them saying dude and now when they say it, they think of me. One teacher told me that she used dude in one of her assignments to be funny (like me) and the students commented that she's starting to sound like me. That's how often I use dude. People associate the word with me.

My reasons for doing this came at the anti-valentine's day party. I said it a couple of times and the VP mentioned that I say it a lot. He joked that he's scared I'll call one of the school members, or worse yet, an tribe elder "dude". I don't think I would, but, hey, you never know.

So now I'm off dude. Of course, it's always valid when refering to Lebowski :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home