Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Bird Dance

First off. I know it's been over a week since my last post ... things have been busy here. Well, not so busy here, but in my life ... but I promise to give the full scoop in about two weeks ... so stay tuned.

Yesterday we had our Health Hearts assembly ... a little late since Valentine's day was two weeks ago, but hey, that's "Indian time".

It was mainly a show case of the elementary students howing how they keep a healthy heart through dance. The kindergarten boys did The Chief's Welcome Dance and the girls did The Ladies Welcome Dance. The grade one class danced to a song to honour a community member who wrote the song. These songs are preformed with drummers and live singers.

One of the grade 2 classes was to do The Bird Dance. I was thinking to myself, "Ok, I've been to quite a few celebrations and I haven't yet seen the bird dance. I'm in for a treat!" I see the teacher cue some music, which was usual because I was expcting drum/singing. The music comes on ... and guess what it was...

The Chicken Dance!



I laughed my ass off. The students around me were wondering why I was laughing so hard. I even tried to bribe some of my studens with 100 tokens to come up with me and join in. I had no takers though

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home