Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Friday, March 09, 2007

Friday Random Shuffle

Because I'm busy ...

1. Day Old Hate - City and Colour
2. Light in your Eyes - Sheryl Crow
3. North American for Life - Matthew Good
4. Breakin’ Up - Gwen Stefani
5. Symbol in my Driveway - Jack Johnson
6. Greedy Fly - Bush
7. Pretty Vegas -INXS
8. In da Club - 50 Cent
9. This Love - Maroon 5
10. No Mermaid - Shaye

My Health and Career Education class were being dicks today, well actually they were dicks the last few days. They bitch and complain we never do anything fun like go to the computer lab or go to the store (which is never really an option ever).

So I took their suggestions into account, because I try to make the class fun and I try to take their suggestions seriously. So I book a class in the computer lab on Wednesday and planned a whole lesson around using the computer to watch some video, and playing some games and answering some questions. I thought the lesson was pretty fun, and I'm not saying that just as a teacher.

Well, the kid who is the biggest bitcher got bored after 5 minutes, announced the class sucked and sulked in his chair. I had an alternative assignment that was kinda boring (for the kids who were abusing their computer privilege ... reading 5 pages of notes and then answering questions. Well, he wanted t o go back to the classroom and do those. And then a few other kids decided that they wanted to do the same thing. Then one kids really wanted to work on the boring questions in the office. So now half my class is not in the computer lab... let's just say that's the last time we go to the computer lab.

Then today, as the kids were finishing up their questions ... well some of them anyway ... they started saying that it would be fun to try to make all the new teachers leave this year by being brats and not doing their work. A couple kids chimed in that that would be fun.

I basically told them that the only people they would be hurting is themselves because their marks would suffer and there was no one to blame but themselves. I also told them that they could try this if they wanted, but it wouldn't make me leave because other kids in the school are not brats and they would make me stay. I also mentioned that if teachers left here and reported to the outside world that the kids here are jerks, that would not look good on the community. The kids say that they always say how crappy it is here. I asked them if they honestly thought that ... and then I compared that statement to how we treat our siblings. It's ok for me to insult my brother and hit him, but if some other kid did that to him, I'd beat the snot out of that kid. My students laughed and seemed to agree with me. I hope I made them rethink the brat thing because that would just make my job harder.

1 Comments:

  • At March 09, 2007 11:39 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    When is your spring break? Maybe they're just squirrely because spring break is fast approaching.

    I like how they want going to the store as a class assignment! Think of it as payback time for all the times you drove your teachers crazy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home