Big City Girl, Small Town Teacher

All about my adventures teaching in a small community

Friday, February 23, 2007

Who writes these things? Morons?!?!

I swear that morons write textbooks. For example ...

Math 10 ... one question is about planets. It asks the student to find the circumferance of Uranus. The kids laughed about that for 10 minutes. Come on textbook companies, use another planet ... there are only 7 others to choose from ... neptune is a nice planet!

The literacy book. I've lectured my kids over again that the use of "gay" as an insult is unacceptable in the classroom. I've even threatened to send kids to the office if I heard it again in class. Well, one kid muttered something about gay and I sighed really loudly and gave him, "I'm going to lecture you now look"*

He looked at me and said, "It's in the book honest!"

And loll and behold, the book is talking about how you want to be a lawer at the offices of Brown & Gaylord... who the hell thought of this stuff?!? Why would they publish this in a textbook for teenagers ... to make the teacher's life more difficult?!? This is a very current textbook, they should know better. Yeah, I know Gaylord is a name, but, come on ... why couldn't they just put Smith or Wong or something just as common?

* I hate lecturing students. I've only done it once and I felt a real asshole, but sometimes, it's what I gotta do.

4 Comments:

  • At February 27, 2007 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok...but you have to laugh too at the picture of actually measuring...and if you were a teen..you'd be making the same jokes

     
  • At February 28, 2007 11:24 AM, Blogger Toccata said…

    One teacher teaches his kids how to do simple trinomial factoring by, "First make the bum," referring to the brackets. The kids get all giggly but man they learn it. I now use it too because it works.

     
  • At February 28, 2007 10:54 PM, Blogger Toccata said…

    Hey I left you a message on my blog. I'm hoping I'm right in my assumption that you will be coming to Victoria over the spring break.

     
  • At March 02, 2007 6:34 AM, Blogger Women on the Verge said…

    Yep... you pegged it... they are morons who get their jollies knowing kids are going to have giggle fits... I think that's the job of choice for those disruptive class clown types.

    E of wotv

     

Post a Comment

<< Home